From: "Dale E. Reddick" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] German Ancestry at Philadelphia early
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:00:00 -0500

Hey Ed,

Oh, I suppose your ancestor studied with Reverend Bolzius at Ebenezer.
That likely means he knew John Adam Treutlen, first State Governor of
Georgia. Treutlen was taught as a child by the Reverend Bolzius.

Treutlen owned land across the Ogeechee River from my ggggg-grandfather
John Reddick (Johann Radick, II). But, his principal residence and
plantation was on the Savannah River at Two Sisters' Ferry near
present-day Clyo. I've got pictures of the historical markers for that
area if you're interested in that area of settlement (Swabians,
Salzburgers, etc.) in what is now Effingham County.

Dale
________________________________

wrote:

>Dale,
>
> My immigrant from Herrstein, Germay was a Lutheran pastor (Charleston) in
>1700s trained/ordained in Georgia by those Salzburgers at Ebineezer you refer to
>below.
>
>.
>
>In a message dated 11/14/2005 3:35:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> writes:
>Hi Folks,
>
>Just a bit of a correction. The Trustees of the Colony of Georgia and
>General James Oglethorpe (the founder of Savannah and the colony as a
>whole) were quite happy to take Deutsch settlers. Many were refugees
>from Salzburg and the Rhenish Palatinate. Georgia colonial officials
>eagerly accepted Palatines, Salzburgers, Swabians, and Swiss into the
>new colony. Many of the refugees were taken into the colony as
>indentured servants who worked according to the dictates of those
>colonial officials and the Trustees - for the colony. The Salzburgers
>were free and were first settled at Old Ebenezer, then allowed to move
>to a newer settlement also named Ebenezer. Otherwise, German-speaking
>colonists settled throughout the colony. Present-day Dutch Island
>(first known as Providenc Is. and later as Liberty Is.) was settled by
>members of the Radick and Gnann families in the mid-1750s. Those folks
>were German speakers and they weren't pushed inland up to the frontier.
>They were settled on a sea island that's now a part of Savannah.
>
>The colony of Georgia eagerly accepted German-speakers and didn't push
>them off to the frontier.
>
>Dale E. Reddick
>Administrator, RootsWeb GA-DEUTSCH e-mail list
>
>Ed

This thread: