From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] autosomal testing leads to breakthrough
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 06:16:43 -0800 (PST)

Mary Jo:

That is a very interesting finding. On this particular measure the data have to be interpreted in context. It would be very helpful if you could give us a listing of all your near matches so that we can better understand how the test works. It is generally assumed that only a test that explores 100 or more markers on 15 or more of the autosomes has a fighting chance of picking up low levels of minority ancestry. In theory it is highly unlikely that there would be enough autosomal DNA from an ancestor of 400 years ago to register on any test. However if there were multiple First Nations - European matings, or if like my family cousins were often the first choice for partners then the chances go up significantly. In other words I am wondering whether you also had highly unlikely matches to say Australian Aborigines, or Koreans. We are always looking for breakthroughs, but I would need to know more before having the elder generations of my family tested to see if this !
autosomal
test can pick up our documented Canadian First Nations heritage.

David Faux.

Mary Jo Neyer <> wrote:
I would like to let everyone know that Thomas Krahn's autosomal testing
has led to a real breakthrough in understanding my genetic genealogy.
As administrator for Hooper's Island, from where my maternal grandfather
came, we had a lot of documented genealogy going back to about 1780,
plus the tradition that almost 400 years agoa Ruark ancestor had
purchased a native American woman for some blankets. The island society
was fairly closed until the last 100 years or so, so I thought that
there would be the chance that Algonquin genetic material to show up in
DNA testing, although in minute amounts. The autosomal testing showed a
good match with the Lumbee Indians, now living in north Carolina but
some of whom lived on those very islands of which Hooper's is one. But
what amounted to an even bigger breakthrough was the discovery of DNA
which matches that of Guinean-Bissau, a small western African nation
which was the source for a lot of slaves. The Lumbee Indians
intermarried heavily with escaped slaves, so the story of the purchase
of the wife may indeed be even more real than I had imagined. I had no
idea I had African DNA. It is amazing and wonderful to me that I can
find out such a thing.
Thank you, Thomas

This thread: