From: Dienekes Pontikos <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Are the Jewish Cohanim J1 or J2
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:54:07 -0800

On 11/27/05, ellen Levy <> wrote:
> Dienekes:
> So let me just clarify. You believe that E3b entered
> the Jewish community in Israel prior to 70 AD, but not
> as early as 1200 BC? What leads you to conclude this?

The fact that E3b is rare or non-existent in Samaritans, Lemba, Bene
Israel and Cohens. These populations represent independent lines of
evidence about the genetic composition of biblical Israel at an
earlier stage than Late Antiquity/Medieval times (split between
Ashkenazim/Sephardim). The fact that they lack or have E3b at trace
frequencies is strong evidence that it was rare or lacking at that
earlier stage.

Dienekes' Anthropology Blog

This thread: