From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] YSNP testing, hobby scientist forces, convergence, and back mutation issues -- to YSNP or not to YSNP
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:53:54 -0700

Bill, It's a matter of how sure you want to be whether your deep ancestral
origins were with one variety of I1b or the other. Take Dinaric Versus
Western I1b, for example. You could look at just DYS388. If 15 you are
Western, if 13 one of the other varieties. Checking YCAIIa,b for the 11,21
for I1b2 will quickly put you with the Sardinians or not. But Dinaric I1b
is 14,15 at 385, while Western is 12,15. Dinaric is 20 at 448; Western is
18. And on and on ....... through many markers. I work at the margins
where just 2 well-correlated markers can distinguish between two founders
with high probability, but I1b is not one of these areas as long as the
person acquires more than the minimal set of markers. With extended
haplotypes the 4 varieties of I1b separate very well based on a good number
of correlated marker modality differences. Good as an SNP for purposes of
population studies!

I hope your computer can open excel files on websites, and you can see for
yourself the differences. I have been told that some people's software will
not open excel files on the web? www.northwestanalysis.net

Ken