From: "Peter J. Roberts" <>
Subject: DNA extraction from hair follicles
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 14:39:26 -0800 (PST)

A friend's relative was the last in his line. He died and was embalmed before cheek swabbing could be done. All that this is available for DNA testing are hair samples with follicles and fingernail clippings. I don't know if the hair follicles were collected before or after embalming. These samples are in sealed containers.

Please let me know which labs have had success (or the one's you recommend) in getting DNA from hair follicles. Can the DNA which is recovered be transferred to FamilyTreeDNA so that he may join his surname project?

Thank you and sincerely, Peter

Peter J. Roberts

Yahoo! Personals