From: charles <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Hi. I'm from the government and I'm here to help you. And ... It's...
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 18:28:10 -0500

Ann is of course technically correct about the vocabulary with her
"ultra precise" comment. Thanks Ann for that feedback. I'll have to so
note that precise difference for the figures description in the next
edition. Anyone else pick up anything unusual about the "karyotype"
example in my figures. And the person who sent me the private feedback
several months ago, please don't give it away. I want to see how many
other sharp eyes and minds we have on this list. :-) See figure 4 in my
examples in the dictionary site:
http://www.ggdictionary.org/
There are corrections and suggestions forms provided in the back of my
dictionary. All suggestions and corrections to make my efforts to help
genetic genealogists with the esoteric terms used in our new field are
very welcome.

Charles

wrote:
> In a message dated 12/09/05 2:01:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> writes:
>>
>>>Well early this year I saw a free announcement in the U.S. Gov's Genome
>>>Project webpage for a "free" poster of our human genome and karyotype. A
>>>karyotype is a picture of all our chromosomes. You can see an example of
>>>a male karyotype in the sample pages in my Dictionary webpage. Click on
>>>the "view some sample figures" link in the home page and look at figure
>>>4: http://www.ggdictionary.com/
>>
>>http://www.indianpediatrics.net/feb2001/images/6.jpg
>>
> Oops -- "my mouse" clicked on Send before I was quite ready. If you want to
> be ultra-precise about vocabulary, the poster actually shows ideograms, a
> stylized representation of what's seen on a karyotype. A karyotype is literally a
> photograph of chromosomes, which have been stained to show a banding pattern. I
> searched Google Images for an illustration of the difference -- the image in
> the URL above was the best I found before my mouse got ahead of me.
>
> Ann Turner

This thread: