From: "Earl Beaty" <>
Subject: DYS464X results
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:22:58 -0700

We now have DYS464X results for a second member of the Beatty Surname
Project.
Peter has: DYS464 15c-15c-17g-17g
Earlier I reported my results: Earl 15c-16c-17g-17g

The significance of this is that almost all R1b men have the pattern cccg
and almost all others have gggg. As I understand the situation only one
other man has been found with ccgg.

Here is some Beatty background. We have done the STR tests on 82 men, 57 of
which are found to fall into a group who are descendants of a common
ancestor, who we call Adam (Beatty). Within the 57 there are a few instances
where the men are known to be related from traditional genealogy. There are
several other instances when men are suspected of having a relatively recent
ancestor. The 82 men are not a bad representative sample of American
Beattys with several men from other countries. The dispersion of results in
the 57 descendants indicates that Adam lived about 20-30 generations ago.
Eleven of our men have 25 marker haplotypes which are the same and there are
another 25 which are one step away in 11 different ways. At 37 markers there
is more variability, especially at the CDY markers.

I took this test just as an exploration. Peter took it at my request because
he is as close as we can get to Adam. At 37 markers Peter's haplotype is one
off from Adam's -- at CDYa. Adam's allele at CDYa is not well defined. and
Peter may exactly match his distant ancestor Adam. Peter is one of 3
descendants of Adam to be SNP tested by FTDNA and confirmed to be R1b. We
have 2 other descendants of Adam who have submitted samples for the 464X
test. There has been a communication problem and results have not been
delivered.

A tentative conclusion is that Adam and all his descendants have the ccgg
pattern. If this generality holds up with more data, it will be a valuable
indicator for the Beatty family. A question raised is when did this mutation
occur, and who else has this condition. We have some evidence supporting our
assumption that Adam was a Border Reiver who lived in Eskdale in
Dumfriesshire Scotland. It would be reasonable for some of his neighbors to
have similar Y-chromosomes. Other surnames from the neighborhood include
LITTLE and GLENDINNING.

As a follow-up I did some more exploring and got some additional tests. Here
are the results.
DYF385 10-11
DYF399 21-22-27.1
I have not yet begun to work out what these numbers imply about my ancestry.

--Earl Beaty, Group Administrator
Beatty Surname Project
www.BeattyDNA.org

This thread: