From: Jon Spence <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] What DNA testing can and cannot tell you
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 06:06:45 -0800 (PST)

1. A man's Y-chromosome provides *a small window or glimpse* at the Y-chromosome “fingerprint” of his male ancestors.
2. By *measuring specific defined regions* of the "Y-chromosome," the results will show whether or not two men "share a common ancestor* in the *recent* past.
3. Occasionally, small mutations (or changes) of the Y-chromosome occur and these can be used to *identify specific branches* of a family.
4. At the current state of the technology, the results will not allow the determination of the exact generation, but scientific formulae are being postured, theorized and tested, 24/7.
5. Hang on! It's one hell of a ride!

jon

"James A. Honeychuck" <> wrote: Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays.

It is dawning on me that my frustration at finding no matches, no
relatives, and no definite origins through Y-DNA testing is probably due
to my initial lack of understanding about the purpose of the tests.