Subject: Re: [DNA] Re: Haplogroup I1*x
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 16:46:02 EST

In a message dated 1/3/2006 2:58:24 PM Central Standard Time,
writes:
> The Genographic project was seeking a data set of 100,000 samples world
> wide I thought. Lofty goal --- it may take a while.
> Al

There are two different databases. One is the Indigenous database, which will
be used by scientists to study ancient migrations. It is supposed to be
100,000 indigenous people in 10 regions.

The other is the Public Participation database which results from kit sales.
It was supposed to be 100,000, but they are well on their way. I doubt if they
would stop at that point, since NGS receives a commission off the sales. They
say it will be used by scientists to study modern migrations (back to
grandfathers), but that sounds a little dubious. The kit sales just seem to be to
raise a little money and raise public awareness.

Neither database will be available for public use, according to what they
have stated so far.

Bbo Stafford

This thread: