From: "Roberta J. Estes" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Genealogy Paper Trails vs. Y-DNA Testing
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 11:19:23 -0500

I haven't done any percentage work, but between contemporary research,
meaning going to court houses and extracting every possible record on that
or any similar family name and mining the internet, plus DNA, several of the
old family historys I've been working with have fallen.

In the Estes line in particular, there was a book written in the late 1800s
that took the line back to the mid 1600s. The gentleman claimed that one of
the lines in SC, which he could not connect to the 1650s immigrant was a
separate immigrant. DNA testing proved he descended from the same family
line, and good traditional genealogy provided evidence (note I did not say
proved) that he did in fact descend from the son of the son of the
immigrant. We find him with his brothers just before the revolution, then
the brothers go to SC (believed to be Tory sympathizers) and sure enough,
there he is too with them. Of course, I have the benefit today of tax
lists, census records, deed records in both places, etc. The man writing in
the 1890s didn't have those benefits.

Having said that, I am still very grateful for the information he did
provide. I always take these things with a grain of salt though. Some
times they are very accurate and sometimes not. I think often what happened
was that the person ran up against a brick wall and "assumed" due to
proximity or other factors. I did a lot of the same when I was a "young
genealogist", and had to redo a lot of work later.

I have had 2 more family lines fall, in terms of the old historys, and one
be confirmed. So based on my experience which may not be representative at
all, more than 50% are incorrect and are proven so.

However, some of these could be proven so today without the DNA results
because of the traditional resources available to us today. It's never been
a better time to be a genealogist.

Roberta Estes