From: charles <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Genealogy Paper Trails vs. Y-DNA Testing
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 14:07:06 -0500

Bill:

My Kerchner Surname YDNA Project validated my personal genealogy work
except for one 5th cousin with a false paternity event somewhere back in
his line, imo. The MRCA was born in 1750. It also eliminated several
Kerchner clans as not being related and thus said ... don't spend any
more time trying to find a paper trail which is not there. And it linked
together two clans which were thought to be related but for whom the
paper trail connection was never found in PA ... and still has not been
found ... but we're sill looking since the YDNA says there should be a
connection back there in Europe somewhere. My ancestor arrived in
colonial PA in 1741. See links below.
http://www.kerchner.com/success.htm
http://www.kerchner.com/thane-of-fife.htm

Charles Kerchner
http://www.kerchner.com/dna-info.htm

billdenney wrote:
> Has anyone looked at what percentage of generally accepted paper genealogies for surnames dating back to say the early 1700's have not been "proven out" by Y-DNA analysis so far? Obviously there are a lot of variables here (quality of the genealogical research, non-paternity events, etc.), but I'm curious to know an approximate casualty rate for the paper trails.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bill Denney

This thread: