From: "Glen Todd" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Genealogy Paper Trails vs. Y-DNA Testing
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 12:37:29 -0700

> My Kerchner Surname YDNA Project validated my personal genealogy work
> except for one 5th cousin with a false paternity event somewhere back

I've said more or less the same thing about the Todd surname project. The
Todd surname is of known multiple origins. I've only got one known paper
trail connection in my particular cluster (a well documented 9th cousin),
and DNA testing has confirmed this. There is what one might call a
genealogical urban legend that all of the Todd lines have a common root in
Scotland (I've seen this repeated on several web sites), but DNA testing has
effectively debunked this. Any possible common ancestor would have to
have been at least 15,000 years ago. I've also uncovered a couple of
apparent FPEs, mostly in lines that supposedly go back to immigrant ancestor
Robert Todd. (Not my line.)

Glen

This thread: