Subject: Re: [DNA] New to this [H2]
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:15:55 EST

In a message dated 01/13/06 2:51:19 PM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> I agree. I recently took the mtDNA test, but the results didn't mean much
> to me, and now I wonder why I did it! I just want to know what it means
> that I am Haplogroup H2 with a mutation at 16519C. I understand that this
> is European, but Europe is a big place!

Yes, Europe is a big place, and migrations have been occurring over many
centuries, mixing the populations up so it's usually not possible to pin it down
any further. Your mutation at 16519C is rather common -- you'll find lots of
matches if you enter your haplotype (the technical term for your list of
mutations or differences from the Cambridge Reference Sequence) at
http://www.mitosearch.org. That mutation is also found in many other haplogroups, so it's not
very diagnostic. In fact, I wrote a whole article about it in the current issue
of JoGG:

http://jogg.info/12/Index12.html

However, I'm curious about your label of H2. Did you have some extra subclade
testing done, or did you deduce it from this FTDNA chart?

http://www.ftdna.com/hclade.html

If the latter, it's possible that you are not H2, but just plain H (or
"Helena" in Bryan Sykes "Seven Daughters of Eve").

Ann Turner

This thread: