Subject: Re: [DNA] Y-STR testing rate slowing down?
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 17:30:39 EST

In a message dated 1/13/2006 10:45:19 A.M. Central Standard Time,
writes:

the kind of white-hot interest in genealogy that was palpable about five to
eight years ago has significantly diminished. This would ultimately affect!
DNA testing, if I'm right. Do others have this same impression??

I do, Carol. Like it or not, a certain % of those who got interested during
that period will have abandoned their new hobby when the going got rough,
imho. Many of them didn't have any interest in joining a genealogical society
to learn techniques for pushing through brickwalls, sources other than
birth/death/marriage certificates, etc. I suspect also that the tightening of
finances has discouraged some since this isn't a free hobby. I also wonder about
the "confusion factor" -- all those web-posted GEDCOMS with conflicting
information, many without sources, or even dates and locations, and far too many
with NO way to contact the person who put them up or with outdated email
addresses.

As to my Projects' testing rates, I have noticed a bit of a slow-down, but I
attributed it to the diminished recruiting efforts of myself and the
Participants over the last 6 months. Didn't think anything about it until this
thread popped up. I suppose the test will be when we renew our recruiting
efforts and we see the response rate.

Anne

This thread: