From: "ernest hurst" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Re: DNA Testing Incentives?
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 05:33:52 -0500

I have been on eight different MyFamily sites, over the last four years, or
so. Three "died" when they started charging for renewals - there was
nothing of any great genealogical significance on any of the three.
Another, the one I've been on the longest, was very active, with lots of
good info for 1st couple years, was increased to 710MB size, but has pretty
much died in the last year and a half - averages a posting about every 3 to
4 weeks, of no real value. The one that is still very active is mostly a
"family chat" & pictures of grand children - nothing significant on
genealogy for a while. Others have very little in way of genealogy, after
initial "flurry" of postings.

DNA testing has been mentioned on all that still exist (courtesy of Bill,
on one), but I don't know that anyone has been recruited as a result (Bill
may correct me here). I definitely don't see MyFamily site as a good choice
for a DNA project - they're too difficult to find & get an "invite" to. I
can't remember any problem with passwords. I use same sign in & password
for all sites I belong to, checking them regularly but seldom posting.

Ernie Hurst

This thread: