From: "Peter A. Kincaid" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Is Frisian a misnomer for R1bSTR22?
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:38:17 -0400

The following is an elaboration of my note about the possibility
of the R1bSTR22 group having its origins with the Roman army in
Britain. There many coincidences that could tie things together.
The Kincaids and the Cramwinckel samples in the R1bSTR22 are
key because the families both hail from isolated areas and have no
known connection except to the Roman occupation. First of all, the
Cramwinckel sample hails from Wesel in Germany. This is in the
close vicinity of Neus which was one of the main Roman strongholds
in the area. Furthermore, the area is tied to the Baetasii tribe. On the
Scotland side we have the Roman presence in the building of
the Antonine Wall which runs opposite the Kincaid lands
on the other side of the Kelvin River (with the forts in the
immediate area of Kincaid lands being Kirkintilloch, Auchendavy
and Bar Hill. By coincidence the 500 strong auxillary cohort
of I Baetasiorum civium Romanorum (the Baetasii unit in the
Roman army) was stationed at Bar Hill as attested by incriptions.
The movements of the I Baetasiorum civium Romanorum is
further interesting in that following the withdrawal from Scotland
they went on to Maryport, Cumberland County, England and
later ended up at Reculver Kent.

Furthermore, there were three circa 5000 strong Roman legions
involved in the building of the Antonine Wall: Legion II Augusta,
Legion XX Valeria Victrix and Legion VI Victrix. Before being sent to
Britain the last two legions were stationed at Neuss, Germany. Legion
XX's dominant home was in Chester (albeith it had significant
stints at Carlisle and Wroxeter, Shropshire) Legion VI's dominant
home was at York. The II Augusta was in Strasbourg, France for a number
of years prior to coming to Britain. In my last post I noted that of all
the 23/11/13/13 results in YHRD Strasbourg was one of the areas
with the largest concentration (10.1%). Units of the II Augusta
were stationed at Auchendavy and then were off to Caerleon
after the withdrawal from Scotland.

Thus, a significant possibility for origins not directly connected
to the Frisians nor the Anglo/Saxons, but still Germanic connections
and an explanation for the Welsh and Strathclyde British samples.

Best wishes!

Peter A. Kincaid

This thread: