From: "David F Reynolds" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] SNPS VS STRS
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 20:59:19 -0800

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 20:29:27 -0800, Raymond Whritenour <> wrote:

> David R:
>
> What you've done is conclude, from Thomas Krahn's autosomal test,
> something which Thomas has just told us can't be done with this
> test--namely, to find a minor racial component of your ancestry. I fail
> to see how these numbers confirm a minor component of Sub-Saharan
> African ancestry in an individual who is "at least" 7/8 "Northern
> European." That's an interpretation which has no basis in science.

I think you are misinterpreting Thomas' post, but if so, I'll leave it to Thomas.

You believe CODIS has no basis in science?

My initial self-analysis of the DNAFP panel 1 markers was done using information from Butler's Forensic DNA Typing. See Chapter 18, Combined DNA Index Systems (CODIS) and the Use of DNA Databases, as well as Appendix II, U.S. Population Data - STR Allele Frequencies. My intial results were born out by the extended data in the OmniPop spreadsheet, downloaded courtesy of Thomas Krahn. As well as by DNA Tribes' analysis of the autosomal alleles.

Inheritance of autosomal chromosomes is a crap-shoot; it is not outside the realm of possibility that a contribution from three generations back be visible.

--david

This thread: