From: "Roberta J. Estes" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] which company?
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 00:16:44 -0500

That's kind of a can of worms on the list here, as many folks have strong
feelings.

However, my best advice to you would be to join a surname project that is
relevant to you. You'll get a discount that way and you'll be having your
results compared to like results. At Family Tree DNA, the company I use and
am by far the most familiar with, you can also join multiple projects, so if
you join the Lee surname project, you could also join a geographical
project, like my Cumberland Gap project, for example. There are many other
"special interest" project as well.

Keep in mind too that all of the National Genographic project kits are being
processed by Family Tree DNA and therefore, any of those recipients who are
interested in genealogy will be able to have their results available in the
Family Tree DNA data base for comparison. They have sold over 100,000 kits
since April 2005, so the possibility of matches is increasing everyday with
that volume of kits being processed. I am getting more and more people
transferring in to my projects from the Genographic project, which means
more matches for my folks.

I'm sure others will have comments as well. Part of your decision will be
based, I'm sure, on what your goals are for testing.

Roberta Estes