From: "Peter A. Kincaid" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] How many Scots are Scots
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 09:11:14 -0400

I am not one for anything other than alphanumeric labels as anything
else is indicative of narrowmindness and subject to be disproved.
If there is a preference for such labels then I think one should be
consistent in the application. Two of the labels Scots and Irish
are modern and directly relate to a recognized area on a modern map.

Frisian is an outdated term and is currently supplanted by Netherlands,
Germany (Northwest in particular) and Denmark. As it can easily be
proven that the application of the ethnic label Frisian is wrong then one
has to pick a more inclusive modern representation of the areas represented
by the 23/11/13/13 combo. The only acceptable modern term to represent
"all" the areas of the 23/11 distribution is R1bSTR22 Germanic. To contine
to use more limited terminology expresses historical and cultural ignorance.

In terms of how many Scots are Scots the answer is and clearly will
be all of them. This is the nationality given to a conglomeration of
people with varying paternal DNA ancestry. How many Scots R1bs
or how many Irish R1bs is another narrowing factor and only is
suggestive of those of the total R1b population that carrying more
distinctive R1b haplotypes that are more concentrated in Scotland
or Ireland. Nothing wrong with that application. The same would
apply with R1bSTR22 Germanic as one can see its meaning in terms of the
hotspots of its more distinctive haplotype.

Peter