From: "grandcross" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] J2 in Galicia & Cantabria Spain...
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 23:39:40 -0600

Al wrote:

I'm a Y chromosome J2 though,
which is a bit odd for a Basque person. But I have found recently that
there is an area in Northern Spain, adjacent to Basque Country, where J2
is a fairely high percentage of the population (Galicia Spain, and
Cantabria Spain).

The Cantabria region is close to Basque country, but Galicia is nearly
200 miles away so hardly "adjacent" (I know because I have walked that
route). There is a great diversity of peoples along this magnificent
stretch of land so, regardless of ethnic identity, you have reason to
be proud of your deep ancestry.

Sorry, and yes, I was sloppy there.
The article I read was about the peoples and their DNA in Galicia &
Cantabria Spain. Even though the Y chromosome J haplogroup is rare
overall in Spain (perhaps as a result of the expulsion of the Jews and
Moors in the 15'th century) in Galicia and Cantabria J is strong. There
is an area in northern Galicia (Marina Lucense) where J (the data says
J2 but the article shows just J was tested, 12f2) where J is 32 percent
of the population.........

This is in the modern day autonomous region of Galicia, along its coastline
province of Lugo, which, to confuse things more, is sometimes referred to
as the Rias Altas part of Spain. Nobody really knows why there should be so
many J haplotypes here, but there are any number of theories, starting with
"the Romans" who seem to be the prime suspects (just ahead of "the Celts")
for almost all the genetic hotspots in western Europe these days.

There are more J's in Galicia and more people have
emigrated from there than immigrated.In the 18'th century
the economy of Galicia collapsed and many people left for the "New
World".

Including (allegedly) Fidel Castro's grandfather although I have no idea
what his haplogroup might have been. Not that I care.

They went to Argentina (there are many J2's in Buenos Aires today),
Brazil,
Venezuela, Germany & France, and I'm sure other places. My branch of the
J2's came to the "New World" earliar though because I have found
records
of "Aburto's" in Puebla & Vera Cruz Mexcio back to the 17'th century.

I assume you have joined the Mexico surname project
(members.tripod.com/~GaryFelix/index63.htm). If not, you should. I don't
qualify, but several of its members have been generous with their time and
quite helpful to me in understanding my haplotype/haplogroup. Im sure they'd
welcome a son of Euskara.

Sounds like a wonderful walking tour you had there! I have not been
there (Northern SPain). I did drive around in Southern Spain though. I
was in the US Navy then and our ship broke down in Rota Spain so I
rented an old car, with holes in its muffler I remember :-), no one
seemed to mind, and drove all around Southern Spain. It was great, even
though I could speak very little Spanish!

Walked 217 miles in 13 days across northern Spain. Beautiful country,
charming people. I'm also a Navy vet. Spent two years navigating the
Mediterranean.

PS: If you'd like a copy of that article I will send it. It is by Maria
Brion, "Micro-geographical differentiation in Northern Iberia revealed
by Y-chromosome DNA analysis", Gene 329 (2004):17-25

Yes, please. Thanks. If it can be found on line, the link would do.

This thread: