From: charles <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Earliest common ancestors for 37/37 and 43/43 matches
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:23:31 -0500

Orin:

The whole basis of my YSTR Haplotype Mutation Rate Project is based on
what you just stated. Are you not aware of it? What I need is more
participation from surname projects who know the MRCA from traditional
research and have several descendants YDNA tested. Collecting more data
from numerous surname projects in my log will benefit all. I invite you
to submit your projects data or a related cluster from your project to
the log.
http://www.ystrlog.org/

Charles Kerchner
YSTR Haplotype Mutation Rate Study/Project

OrinWells wrote:
> When you are talking about generations, I am assuming you mean the
> maximum number of generations to either of the two descendents being
> compared and not the sum of the generations down the two branches.
> Finding 10 generations is not too difficult with all the English and
> American families with reasonable genealogies to confirm the
> connections. 15 generations is more difficult and requires a lot of
> luck to achieve as this really implies paper trails nearly back to
> 1500. I would think finding 20 documented generations would be very
> rare. It almost begs for a special project to focus on such families
> and to recruit descendents to be tested just to try to determine this
> MRCA issue.
>
> But, what I have observed, and I have raised this possibility before, is
> that some families seem more prone to mutations than others. Or some
> less prone depending on how you look at the water level in the glass. I
> still think there is something that impacts the mutation rates beyond
> just average biological tendencies for loci to mutate. This too begs
> for a research project to examine several families who seem to
> experience more mutations than average and several families who seem to
> experience fewer mutations than average. Could it be that there is some
> sort of compound present in the cells of one group versus the other? Or
> the more/less you have of this the higher the likelihood of a mutation?
> Could it also be that DNA on other chromosomes in such individuals
> mutates faster/slower than "average"?
>
> At 01:04 PM 2/10/2006, Terry Barton wrote:
>
>> But, if the U of A rate is indeed twice too high at all 37 markers, there
>> should be a number of 37/37 pairs with 10-15-20 generations to a common
>> ancestor.
>
> Orin R. Wells
> Wells Family Research Association
> P. O. Box 5427
> Kent, Washington 98064-5427
> <>
> http://www.wells.org
> Subscribe to the "Wells-L" list on RootsWeb

This thread: