From: "Sue Waite-Langley" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Earliest common ancestors for 37/37 and 43/43 matches
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 18:28:08 -0600

Understood...however, how rock solid is rock solid? We've found an
instance in our group where it would be easy to say we have a parallel
mutation. HOWEVER, the very well researched and rock solid lines go back
to Johns...of whom there were several in the same town at the same time
all descended from the same MRCA...and of course who all used the same
names for their children...and unfortunately who both married
Marys...very easy to get the lines confused. However, they are all
descended from different sons of the MRCA...one line with a
mutation...the others without. When the mutation suddenly appears in one
of the parallel lines...the possibility of incorrect connections must be
looked at. There is also always the chance of a cousin being adopted by
an aunt or uncle. These hidden NPE's will never be discovered if we are
too quick to assume a parallel mutation. In that case the paper trail
wouldn't technically be incorrect...just actually. My point is this...I
think we should reinvestigate our rock solid lines where genetic
anomalies exist...re-verify all of the data and eliminate the
possibility that the lines have not been misconnected before we
determine that a parallel mutation has occurred. It is too easy to say
parallel mutation and go on. Sue