From: "Sue Waite-Langley" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Earliest common ancestors for 37/37 and 43/43 matches
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:49:04 -0600

BUT...unlike a birthday...which we all must have...there is nothing that
says ANY person MUST have a mutation. Mutations are random
occurrences...just as we can flip a coin fifty times and will likely get
an equal number of heads and tails based on the probability of the
situation...there is also a probability that we will get fifty tails or
fifty heads. Even if we assume that the probability of a mutation
occurring is fixed (and it isn't...there are fast and slow markers) a
database of samples large enough to "assure" ANY mutation will occur
would have to be very large...certainly not just 74 samples. Sue