From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Earliest common ancestors for 37/37 and 43/43 matches
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 18:47:45 -0500

Yes, of course the individual odds are based on the number of possible outcomes,
not the size of the group. But the size of the group in these examples had been
arbitrarily set to equal the number of possible outcomes, plus one (n+1). My
point was that the groups set up in the example were EXTREMELY non-random (the
odds against such a group occuring randomly really are astronomical), and that
in a truly random sample n+1 would not guarantee a match, which is what was
being said.

In other words, I would, indeed, attach significance to two people in my project
sharing a 37/37 match one step from their progenitor, regardless of whether my
project had ten members or ten thousand.

This thread: