From: "Glen Todd" <>
Subject: RE: FW: [DNA] Is the CMH J1?
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 18:33:38 -0700

>>> There are non-fanciful descents of some English, including
>>> much of the current royal family, from Mohammed. However,
>>> of these pass through one person, a Sancha de Ayala, a
>>> Spanish lady who was in the English court accompanying
>>> Constance of Castile, wife of John of Gaunt. Sancha married'
>>> a Walter Blount.
> >
> > Out of curiosity, is this descendancy documented
> somewhere? I'd be
> >
> > interested, since there are a fair number of le Blounts in
> > my database. Or is this one of those 'family tradition'
> > things? A quick scan of Google, and particularly the
> > Gen-Medieval-L archives (ref.
> > http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/GEN-MEDIEVAL/1996-02/0823
> 908330) shows
> > that there is a certain amount of scepticism about this
> > connection.
>

> Yes, it is not rock solid. However, the other proposed ones
> are clearly in the "disproven" category. All the data there
> is, is in the gen-medieval archives.

This isn't exactly something that I have a major emotional need to 'prove'.
Rather the opposite; I regard it as improbable and mildly amusing for a
number of reasons. So, I'll regard that as an adequate answer. The
whole mess rather supports my original point, though. It would be nice
if they would permit discussion of the Y-DNA signature of this line.

Glen

This thread: