From: "Eric Olson" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] R1a regional variations
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 18:37:02 -0800

David,

No, no! You must not think of me as an expert on R1a. I am not an expert.

I am very interested in all things R1a since that is the Haplogroup of my
haplotype of interest (DY8VJ at Ysearch). I ask a lot of questions, both
stupid and occasionally not so stupid, but that is all. I am more of a
gadfly, trying to keep R1a on a front burner of discussion in this forum.
You should not take my speculative questions as knowledge.

Now you are apparently one of the five, the Lithuanian, at Ysearch, with
the M56+ SNP, and therefore R1a1a. The other four as I recall are a
German, a Slovakian, a Latvian and a USA unknown. I have sent for a deep
clade R1a test at FTDNA, and am awaiting results. At the moment all I have
is SRY 10831.2-. I will let you and the List know the results when they
are returned. I seriously doubt any SNP downstream of M17 will be found,
but if it is, I just have a hunch it may be M157. Don't ask me why...

Your collecting and archiving of R1a discussions is a good thing, and I am
glad someone is doing that. Keep up the good work.

Regards,
Eric Olson