From: "Alfred A. Aburto Jr." <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] novice SMGF question
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 07:28:57 -0700

Have you wrttten to them and asked why they don't show the actual
mismatch between markers? It would be interesting to see their comment.

They must realize that their current practice of showing "no match"
doesn't really deter anyone from determining the actual mismatch between
markers.

Al

> Diana Gale Matthiesen wrote:

>Man, you give me credit for a lot of power. I can't personally force them to
>give me the time of day. But it hadn't occurred to me before... Maybe if the
>SMGF database is shut down entirely, everyone in it will donate their data to
>other, more accessible online databases. Teach the bumbling bureaucrats a
>lesson.
>
>It amazes me that people resent sending their DNA to a commercial lab that makes
>no claim to ownship (and no requirement for a pedigree), one that provides them
>with fast service and a multitude of perks, but will eagerly turn around and
>give away their DNA and a lifetime of genealogical research to another lab that
>treats them like change from a nickle, then practically worship them for the
>privilege of having done so. DNA testing isn't *that* expensive.

This thread: