From: "Mark MacDonald" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] DNA Project Conscription
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:55:53 -0500

From a legal and ethical perspective I don't think there is a prohibition.
When someone posts on y search there is intentional data disclosure to the
public, especially a disclosure and use consistent with a web site. Ysearch
purports to limit use to non commercial or educational purpose. Without
deciding the difficult legal question whether that language works to limit
use, why should a non commercial use not be available? Is the data even
copyrightable under US law? Does the valuable data mining by Nordtvedt or
McEwan create a legal or ethical breach? I don't think so.

Jim's response is expressly just an opinion but Mike shouldn't regard it as
definitive. Mike just asked a difficult question about which reasonable
minds can disagree whether it would be appropriate.

Mark MacDonald