Subject: Re: [DNA] Genealogy as we knew it
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 07:49:40 EDT

In a message dated 4/21/2006 11:50:42 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I was always of the opinion that new age morality would destroy genealogy
as we knew it.

I see civil documents being rendered useless with marriage being unimportant
and so many children being born out of wedlock with no knowledge of who the
father might be.

Civil Union and marriage customs will all be different."

I happen to respectfully disagree strongly with these statements Eric
although I can see where in today's world someone can reach that idea. I believe
the traditional family will survive down the road even though it is and will be
common for "new age morality" in some form to continue and if the
traditional family does not survive our society in USA will be in a REAL down spin and
our society and our country's strength will be largely weakened or eradicated
altogether (my own opinion).

I do not agree with your statement of "marriage being unimportant" and new
age morality "would destroy genealogy as we knew it". I can see the opposite of
that in today's world. I guess it all depends on which groups you are
evaluating in today' society, but don't just write off the millions of people in
USA that STILL very strongly believe in traditional marriage and traditional
families. Acknowledge that they are still here by the millions with strong
beliefs along with the new age morality folks.

So lets hope traditional marriage records in genealogy research will still
be important in the future. A large strength so far has been our traditional
families in my opinion and millions of others in USA opinions. Our country is
now as you indicate in a "new age morality" and it will effect genealogy
research likely so yes DNA research will be more useful to locate needed info
but I expect that we still will have numerous traditional genealogy marriage
records on file also.

Ed Martin

This thread: