From: "Michael L. Hébert" <>
Subject: RE: Mutations (was [DNA] Genealogy as we knew it)
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 09:31:12 -0500

Good point. Maybe I will go ahead and use "mutations" and equate it simply
with small changes in the dna. This brings up a question I have. Am I
correct in assuming that no one inherits a perfect copy of their father's Y
chromosome and that there are mutations in every transmission? If this is
the case, how much mutation on the entire Y chromosome occurs on average
going from father to son? I guess that if I can put these genetic genealogy
mutations into the larger context of mutations that occur between every
father and son, then that softens the blow a bit.

Mike