From: "Daniel Jenkins" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Haemochromatosis and R1b and Plague
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 11:27:32 +0000

Brian and List,

I am diagnosed as a HH carrier, having a het. mutation for the H63D. I am
R1A1 and don't know if I received mutatation from my father by his Irish
mother or my Irish mother. The disease was unkown and not diagnosed not
that long . There is much ongoing research thankfully. I was told that
researchers suspect that there are many more combinations of mutations that
will be found. In spite of being a carrier , so diagnosed, my ferritn level
is on a constant rise, now in the mid 400s from a low 2 years ago of -50
after 18 phlebotomies. My current doctor is most conservative and wants to
wait before calling for more phlebotomies, and I am somewhat in disagreement
with him. Diet appears to be helpful in slowing down elevation of ferritin.
Avoiding protein is more important than avoiding plant iron, as one will not
absorb the plant iron as readily. Some new studies have suggested that vit.
C may be a factor. As an experiment I have given up all supplements and
avoid all high vit. C products. Might see a difference in next test. But I
would rather eat what I like and get phlebotomies . I am a crusader in
educating people about this disaease , it affects many more parts of the
body than the organs. It can have a crippling effect on the joints
particularly the shoulders. I can attest to that. I have helped quite a few
people discover that they have the disease, and maybe added quite a few
years to their lives.
In regards to when the mutation happened , I somewhat feel that it may have
been about 540 ad at the begining of the dark ages. Dendochronologists point
to a very large and long event that caused crop failure,famine,plaques, and
the downfall of cultures. This seems to verify some of the ancient
chronicles of Ireland and England. There are a lot of articles at google
about this and one of the leading researchers is Prof. Baillie of Queens
College, Belfast. Type in " Mike Baillie".

Dan Jenkins