From: Bonnie Schrack <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Haemochromatosis and R1b and Plague
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 17:40:43 -0400

Janet asked,

> Can someone tell me if jaundice is always present with
> hemochromatosis? My red headed father had a ruddy complexion and
> always said giving blood made him feel better. I wonder about that. I
> wanted my husband to be tested, but his cardiologist refused saying he
> would be jaundiced if he had the condition. I couldn't find the answer
> to this in any online sites about hemochromatosis.

Hi Janet,

It seems from others' responses that "not always" is part of the
answer. I'm sure it isn't necessary to have it; a test of ferritin
levels is what's needed for diagnosis, I think. But a bronze-orange
complexion has definitely been among the possible symptoms I have seen
listed. It probably only develops in people who have a more advanced
stage of the disease. My father thinks his hemochromatosis is most
likely not the hereditary kind. He has no such symptom affecting his
complexion, since he is keeping his condition under control. I tested
negative for three of the most common mutations and have no symptoms.
But "jaundice" was one of the symptoms his father, my grandfather, had
at the time he died, I believe. I need to find out more about that.

Bonnie

This thread: