Subject: RE: [DNA] Help Please - Irish Surnames
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 18:40:15 EDT

Hi Jackson and John,

I must correct you on the FitzGerald name. It's origin is not Norman but
Italian. My husband's surname is FitzGerald (yes, upper case "G") and he has
done extensive research on the name. FitzGerald comes from the surname Gerardini
of Florence, Italy. The family was on the losing side of a war in Florence,
a city state and immigrated to Normandy before 1000 AD. According to a book
written around 1926 by Maurice FitzGerald of Ballinslea, Co. Cork, my
husband's great uncle, the Gerardini ancestors "fought against the Greeks at Troy
(1184 BC) and who, on the fall of the great ancient city of Ilium, fled with
AEneas to Italy. They were a warlike race , these Geraldines and three brothers
of them fought with William the Conqueror at the Battle of Hastings."

I guess that explains why my husband's haplogroup is E3b.

Nora Hopkins FitzGerald

In a message dated 5/15/2006 5:47:09 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,