Subject: Re: [DNA] Help Please - Irish Surnames
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 18:07:16 EDT

Thanks for the info, Jason. So, it looks like my husband's line (E3b)
incorporated the Norman's custom by using Fitz to indicate male heirs. I wonder
when his surname changed from Gerardini to Geraldini? Perhaps it had to do with
pronounciation, Italian vs Norman.

I had to laugh when you mentioned that Fitz may indicate illegitimacy. When
my husband and I were first engaged in 1973, I found an article in an Irish
American paper that said those families that spelled FitzGerald with a capital
"G" (as he did) were descendants of illegitimate sons of lords. He was
appalled. I have since heard various versions of the name origin.

Nora

In a message dated 5/16/2006 12:21:48 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,