From: Clyde Rice <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Bloody Foreigners: The History Of Immigration To Britain
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 20:11:49 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks John! That sounds like the way I remembered it! Since I haven't had time to go back and re-look up the records I saw before. I believe I saw it claimed that, that particular clergyman was the one who baptized him.

This is why I have been pushing a bit to get some of the Bigelows, (and variants) to test. They seem to think that their paper work is so good, that there is no reason to do so! Either they think that there will be no "surprises", or they are afraid of finding some!

My mother's maternal grandfather was William Henry Bigelow of WI. in his early years, died 1911, Whiting, IA.

I am finding it very interesting and surprising, the deeper I dig, the deeper my family roots go back, in multiple lines, on this Continent! Long before the start of the US. And it seems it had all been completely forgotten, I believe mostly because of very hard times, especially on the paternal line back at my 4th, 3rd and 2nd great grandfathers!

Rev. War, Civil War, early deaths of one or both parents and moving slowly west, the hard way, for three generations! Birthed kids and buried parents half way across this nation. One couple alone had kids in NY, IL, IA. and finally in NE. (I find that the records, pre the Rev War and post the Civil War are much better than in between the two. Seems like maybe it was lack of time, just too busy surviving, lack of schooling, or some such reasons for the dereliction of keeping family records!)

We just weren't as lucky or fortunate as some of the other New England families that have came all the way to the present, "well to do"! And thus had their lines well documented, all the while!

Clyde Rice

John Chandler <> wrote: Rebekah wrote:
> The Wrentham in Blything Harth Tax Returns of 1674 don't show anything
> like a Bigelow. They must have all moved to the Colonies or something.:->

The probable brother of the emigrant John Bigelow died in 1656,
leaving a will that mentioned his brother John Beasly [sic] in New
England and no other male-line relations. The testator's name was
Francis Beagely [sic], also a blacksmith. (See NEHGR 63/363.) The
identification of John the emigrant rests on an affidavit by a
clergyman who had known him before emigration. Note: the reports
of his baptism at Wrentham give the name as Baguley. I'd say that
any name you find in Wrentham containing B-g-l plus vowels of any
kind would be a candidate for DNA comparison.

John Chandler

This thread: