Subject: Re: [DNA] Family reunion tests
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 22:30:48 EDT

In a message dated 6/8/2006 3:23:17 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
writes:

May I ask who pays for the analysis of all these kits that get "snapped
up" at family reunions? Or, for those planning such an event, what are
your assumptions? I know some families are large enough that they even
have a budget for such things. How many of you are funding broad dna
testing out of your own pockets?

Sometimes the "snapper upper" pays. Sometimes a hat is passed by the family
members present (one good reason for doing it at a reunion!). Sometimes the
Project General Fund pays for them (although we have found that the testee
who pays nothing has little incentive to return a kit, so we generally don't pay
100%). Sometimes I or another researcher or a combination of us -- who
want to see that line's DNA -- chip in on the kit. We make it known that lack
of funds should not be a deterrent if the person really wants to contribute
the DNA, and that arrangements can be made for the financial end of it. More
often than not, however, the person himself pays or his close family members
pass the hat.

Anne

This thread: