From: Bonnie Schrack <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] New Article::Evidence for an apartheid-like social structurein early Anglo-Saxon England
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 21:31:21 -0400

> According to Dr. Mark Thomas, one of the authors of the study
> described in the article and a geneticist at University College
> London, the y-dna of the Germanic invaders pretty much replaced that
> of the indigenous Britons in what is now England. That is only
> possible if the invaders themselves were mostly R1b. Of that
> replacement, Dr. Thomas said, "This is exactly what we see today - a
> population of largely Germanic genetic origin, speaking a principally
> German language."

I don't want to say that I reject all the findings of this paper, but
people should be aware that there's an ongoing controversy, a debate
between scholars that's been going on for years now, between those that
argue for a major replacement of the indigenous population of Britain by
invaders, and those that maintain that the invaders were not so great in
their impact as written history would imply.

The authors of this paper seem to be taking a position pretty far on one
end of that range of possibilities. I happen to prefer the other
alternative, but I don't have particular evidence to argue for that.
I'll just wait and see where the succeeding waves of debate take us to.
I wouldn't think, in any case, that it would be necessary to jump on the
bandwagon and conclude that this study has ended the argument. That, at
least, is not at all likely.

Bonnie

This thread: