From: "R. & G. Stevens" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] New Article::Evidence for an apartheid-like social structure in ear...
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 18:34:27 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>

Ken wrote:

> The Frisian varieties with 23,11 at 390,391 plus a number of other special
> identifying markers are found in present Germanic lands, although a couple
> Italian ones have also been found. There is a type of R1b said to be
> found heavily in southern Germany.
>
> But what "they" call Germanic, who knows? R1b is not the most efficient
> way to identify Germanic influence in the British Isles; I1a and
> Continental old I1c is.

I'm sure you're right in terms of ease and efficiency, but how can one avoid
dealing with R1b if he is looking for the actual impact of the various
Germanic invaders of the British Isles? If one looks merely at I1a and I1c,
he gets the idea that the Germanic invaders were far fewer in number and
influence than they probably were.

Are you talking about making an estimate of the level of Germanic R1b by the
proportion of I1a and I1c? In other words, if the overall proportion of R1b
in the old Germanic homelands was 40-50%, the I1a/I1c 30% or so, and the R1a
around 20%, then one could safely say that for every 10 Anglo-Saxon invaders
4 or 5 were R1b, etc.?

Rich

This thread: