From: charles <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Kerchner family null results at DYS425
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:26:07 -0400

Thomas:

I scanned my emails from you to me also for the last two years and I
have nothing about marker DYS425 issues sent from you to me.

To see what was out there on this DYS425 issue previously, I scanned the
List archives too and found a message about DYS425 on this very subject
addressed to you by a Mr. Odom dated in January 2006. Maybe that is what
you are remembering, the Mr. Odom dialog.

I don't think there is any need for anyone to be upset. I think it is
better for more people to know there are testing issues with DYS425. At
least now I know more about some possible technical reasons why FTDNA
has been having difficulty getting a result for me and my cousins at DYS425.

As to why FTDNA decided to offer DYS415, I believe that FTDNA decided to
offer marker DYS425 because OA offers it. Don't know for sure but I
would suspect that is the reason.

Does this explanation offered by Gareth and confirmed by you mean that a
YSTR allele value test result cannot be obtained for me nor any of my
cousins in my project for DYS425? Or does it take extra special testing
efforts? Will a change of primers help get a result for we Kerchner
folks and others with this same DYS425 null issue? By the way, FYI, a
lab other than FTDNA had reported me as having an allele of 12 at
DYS425. That is puzzling to me at this point.

If you prefer to answer any of this off list, feel free to do so.

Charles Kerchner
Emmaus PA USA

This thread: