From: "Peter A. Kincaid" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] research strategy for genealogists
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 22:44:23 -0300

> On the other hand, your earlier suggestion of testing all one's
> brothers and one's father before branching out to first cousins is a
> bit "over the top". In fact, it's a distinctly bad idea all around.

Well I can appreciate the point of perhaps digging up
some non paternity events the truth is that some families
mutate fairly rapidly and one has to test a number of
close relatives to prove connections. My family is a
case in point.

May I direct list members to a site I put together which
outlines our case:

http://users.auracom.com/7kincaids/dna/derrydna.htm

Based on 37 markers my father is actually two mutations
from his first cousin, three from his second cousin, and
three from his apparent third cousins. The CDY marker
figures in a couple of the mutations. I probably still will
have to dig up a couple more participants just to silence
the hard nosed sceptics.

Best wishes!

Peter A. Kincaid

This thread: