From: Bonnie Schrack <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Indo-European Y-DNA
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 18:24:29 -0400

Ken asked,

> I suppose the "I" from this eastern area are simply M170+? It would be
> very
> interesting to know if these "I" to the east of Europe are I* or I1*
> (maybe
> the same thing?) and not any of the following --- I1a, old I1b, old
> I1c, old
> I1(x) But the academic papers rarely seem interested in pursuing
> clades to
> the most downstream extreme --- sad.
>
> But your language hints that maybe they have broken down "I" in the
> Caucasus? Mostly old I1b, P37+?

I do wish I could help you here Ken, I wondered if you would pick up on
this. Unfortunately they are only breaking it down by micro-ethnic
groups. All of the I in this paper are simply M170+.

Have you analyzed all of those 25 10-marker I haplotypes in the
Cinnioglu paper? I can send them to you if you don't have them. Those
would be one of your best bets for figuring out what kind of I is found
in that area. Cinnioglu even breaks down his data by the regions of
Turkey, and by 5 SNP'd clades: M170, M253, P37, M359, and M223.

Bonnie

This thread: