From: John Lerch <>
Subject: re mit search
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 18:19:44 -0500

It occurs to me that the unrefuted response I got from one of the wonks
on the list the other day can't be true. Either that or the presence of
the various mitochondrial search engines is nonsense. I asked
(paraphrasing) if there are modals for the various haplogroups so one
could estimate their haplogroup from their profile of mutations.
Someone answered there aren't. Now if that's true, then if someone
matches with someone else it means nothing because they might be
entirely different haplogroups.
Now it seems to me that similar profiles ought to be more concretely
associated with certain haplogroups since the mutation is so much slower
so there are many fewer coincidental matchings and there are many fewer
reverse mutations back to the original.
JAL

This thread: