From: "William Hurst" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Re: mtDNA Haplogroup H -- any new research papers/charts coming out?
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 15:45:41 -0400

Ian wrote:

>All the Haplogroup H subgroups are found throughout Southern Europe,
>and to me this represents a spread of peoples along the Mediterranean.
>So perhaps all the ancient civilisations - Egyptian, Persian, Greeks
>and Romans - had their share of H3 women, and the present distribution
>just reflects the population movements over the last 5,000 years.
>(And, Haplogroup H persons replaced the older HV's, V's, I's and N's
>- but that is another story.)
>
>Let's see if anyone has anything else to say.

This is the second time recently you associated mtDNA haplogroup H with
Southern Europe. A quick look at MitoSearch shows lots more countries of
origin in Northern Europe. Part of that may be due to the nature of the
database population. I assume you mean, for example, that my H1* Kelly
sisters (and my father), who can't be traced back further than SW VA and
maybe northern VA, had ancestors in Southern Europe before Ireland. But why
not go all the way and say Africa? I would say Europe for H.

Bill Hurst

This thread: