From: "Lawrence Mayka" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Re: Genographic Project in science courses
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 20:22:44 -0500

> From: [mailto:]
> Male genographic participants get a 12-marker Y test plus a SNP test if
the
> STR results can't predicut the haplogroup unambiguously.

This is a *major* advantage of Genographic, at least for anyone of other
than western European ancestry. I have paid to test 4 people, all of Polish
ancestry, and 3 out of the 4 got results for which FTDNA could not reliably
predict the haplogroup. (In other words, FTDNA offered a private guess, but
would not list this as a prediction in a public project and would not
release the results to Genographic.)

This thread: