From: ellen Levy <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Haplogroup J2 frequency
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 21:08:17 -0700 (PDT)

Lawrence:

First of all, the researchers did not look to the
Basque because of their high frequency of R1b or
Middle Easterners because of their E3b & J. This was
study that did not limit itself to investigating Y
data alone, but combined that data with autosomal and
mtDNA results as well. This data included the
following:

1. 2,349 sequences of mtDNA (HVRI) from 34 samples.
2. Eleven binary markers from the Y chromosome.
3. 22 binary markers of NRY in 27 populations for a
total of 1,096 samples.
4. Five nuclear DNA loci (I cannot claim to have any
real grasp of these markers).

To obtain admixture coefficients, the researchers four
parental populations to use as proxies for prehistoric
groups, specifically (1) populations from the Near
East and Turkey; (2) the Basques as the most direct
descendants of hunter-gatherers (and yes, I have a big
problem with this assumption, but I suppose the Basque
are as good a representative as the French or English
or Dutch). The other two populations included North
Africans and North-Eastern Europeans (you apparently
were worried they weren't included in this study).

The reason the Finnish sample was excluded was because
their allele frequency was so skewed towards a
North-Eastern genetic input that it threw off the rest
of the European sample (which simply doesn't have that
great a frequency of northeastern genes). Generally,
in the European samples, 15% or less of both
Northeastern and North African genetic contributions
were found. Finland was the exception.

Ellen Coffman

http://landing.ancestry.com/familytreemaker/2005/tour.aspx?sourceid=14599&targetid=5429