From: Larry Vick <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] 67-marker haplotypes in ysearch
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 07:26:41 -0700 (PDT)

Gareth,

Since two VICKs with identical 12-marker haplotypes have been SNP tested as Q (actually Q* - one has a deep clade test that is still not complete, although he is confirmed as not any of the Q3 clades), we have operated under the opinion that all of the other VICKs who have the same identical 12-marker haplotype don't need to be SNP tested. We have them input their haplotype as Q in ysearch (based upon the two that were tested as Qs). If this is a valid rule, then maybe at least those who have identical 12-marker haplotypes and relatively rare matching surnames could at least use the haplotype of a matching member who has been SNP tested.

Regards,

Larry

wrote:
Leo

thanks for the link - very useful.

What is surprising is the number of entries with an "unknown" haplogroup
that this link generates. Can you really test to 67 markers and still not
know your haplogroup? Or is it still a common view that only SNP confirmed
haplogroups should be entered - even though this is not enforceable in any
way by the system? Opinions requested - would ysearch be more or less useful
if most 67 marker haplotypes had a haplogroup assignment, whether confirmed
or predicted?

Gareth