From: "Jackson Montgomery-Devoni" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] RE: Dupanloup paper (was, J frequency)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:03:50 -0400

Yes Lawrence that is an interesting hypothesis. And actually haplogroups I
and J are much more closely related to eachother genetically than either are
to haplogroup E3b. Here is a link that shows the faily newly discovered
marker than united haplogroups I and J under IJ.

http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2005/12/s22-shared-by-y-haplogroups-i-and-j.html

Jackson
Y-DNA J2a1*

>From: "Lawrence Mayka" <>
>Subject: [DNA] RE: Dupanloup paper (was, J frequency)
>Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 08:34:59 -0500
>
> > From: Lawrence Mayka [mailto:]
> > The bottom line is that the paper's final conclusions are
> > simply a varying proportion of R1b and I across Europe. The
> > labels of 'Basque' and 'Near Eastern' are somewhat
> > misleading; and the labels of 'Paleolithic' and 'Neolithic'
> > are even more misleading.
>
>Perhaps I should try to phrase this in a more positive way.
>
>In the end, the paper appears to be suggesting that:
>
>- The gene pool associated with Hg I is closer, by several measures, to the
>gene pools associated with J and E3b than to the gene pool associated with
>R1b. By this standard, Hg I should be considered Middle Eastern rather
>than
>Western European, despite I's center and apparent origin in the Balkans,
>which is geographically part of Europe. This is an interesting hypothesis
>worthy of further testing.
>
>- This closeness between the I and J/E3b gene pools suggests that they
>separated no more than 10,000 years ago. In other words, Hg I did not
>expand into Europe tens of thousands of years ago, shrink back to the
>Balkans chased by glaciers, then re-expand later. Rather, Hg I did not
>expand beyond the Balkans at all until after the glaciers receded. Again,
>this is an interesting hypothesis worthy of further testing.
>
>- The timing of I's eventual expansion into central and northern Europe
>corresponds fairly well chronologically with the spread of agricultural
>technology, and suggests that Hg I may have been a primary carrier of this
>technology into northern Europe. Once again, this is an interesting
>hypothesis worthy of further testing.

>View and search Historical Newspapers. Read about your ancestors, find
>marriage announcements and more. Learn more:
>http://www.ancestry.com/s13969/rd.ashx

Play Q6 for your chance to WIN great prizes.
http://q6trivia.imagine-live.com/enca/landing

This thread: