From: "Peter A. Kincaid" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] From 34/37 to 42/67
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 21:04:36 -0300

No this is not what I am saying. If this was an error
then it raises some issues but not as serious if the
probability of error is low. In the case of error we
are likely talking about a human element that can be
addressed and if corrected one gets a useful result.
People expect a reasonable degree of error.

On the otherhand, if the result is correct and you can
get a person going from a 34/27 to a 42/67 result with
regularity then there is a more serious issue at hand.
This would be the misrepresentation of the utility of
this technology for genealogical purposes. If the experts
knew this would occur with regularity and marketed it
otherwise then there could be serious legal consequences.

With regards to your medical analogy I see it this way.
A surgeon was operating and a very loud bang startled him
into cutting something he should not have. This is reasonable
error - albeit not for the patient - in that unusual circumstances
were at play. The flip side would be if the surgeon never went
to medical school in the first place. This is misrepresentation
and there are consequences.

I can and have been negative many times. I don't think I
am here. Very ticked would be more appropriate if this
result is something we should regulary expect.

Peter