From: David Faux <>
Subject: SMGF, DYS464, a Danish motif, etc.
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 23:50:35 -0700 (PDT)

I guess I have found a new toy. The SMGF database. Unless there are inherent biases, it appears to be a very powerful tool to answer very specfic questions (as many of you doubtless already know).

How about this. I input the 6 most standard R1b markers and their modal values (e.g., DYS390=24) plus what was of interest, the DYS464 four part motif. Thus I entered 14, 15, 17, 17. Surprisingly, consisdering the size of the database, this brought up only 60 exact matches. My hypothesis was that the above motif would be found more commonly in the land where my Y-chromosome presumably originated - Denmark - and specifically northern Jutland.

There were only 3 matches to Germany a country with about 60 million people (ok, that is a guess). In little Denmark with 5 million or so there were 4 matches. Not only that but the matches were all to people whose earliest known ancestor was born in ........., drum roll, northern Jutland.

I suppose that there could be a preponderance of Danes in this database - but then it would stand unique since for example Ysearch includes largely British, Irish, and German haplotypes. Perhaps Sorenson has "blitzed" Denmark for DNA samples. Perhaps I need to do some further exploration since that (percentage of sample from each country) sounds like a question that can be answered.

Anyway the point is that the 14,15,17,17 motif appears to be over-represented in Denmark (including Vestfold, Norway noted in the previous communique which was at one time part of Denmark).

David Faux
R1b1c10

This thread: