From: "Lawrence Mayka" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] From 34/37 to 42/67
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 05:28:44 -0500

> From: Peter A. Kincaid [mailto:]
> b.. Reply: While this can happen it extremely rare cases,
> its highly
> unlikely. Let's consider your example, where individuals
> match at only 40 of
> 100 markers and we randomly choose 21 markers to score.

This assumes that FTDNA chose the markers for its panels at random, or that
all markers have equal mutation rates. We know this not to be the case,
because, for example, the 26-37 panel is well-known to be *much* *much* more
variable than the 1-12 panel.

We also have reason to suspect that panel mutation rates may differ across
haplogroups. We *know* that the apparent mutation rate of Hg N is larger,
simply because its P1/P2 deletion doubles the apparent numerical effect of
many common mutations.

This thread: